So, you’ve met someone special, and you quickly fell into each other. Everything was going perfectly until the first night in the same bed, when you discovered that your loved one is as loud as a chainsaw.
Snoring is a common problem, indeed. But that surely doesn’t mean you need to end a relationship because of it.
If it really bothers you a lot, here are a few tips that may help you solve this issue completely.
Most Common Reasons for Snoring
First, let’s find out what causes and medical conditions turn people into snorers:
As you can see, many things can make people snore. And if snoring is chronic and affects the productivity, mood, and health of your loved one, you should consider addressing this symptom to your healthcare provider. The specialist will determine if snoring has an underlying medical reason and will help you treat the issue so that you and your partner could sleep peacefully forever after.
Now, you may be wondering what you should do if your partner doesn’t want to visit a doctor, or what to do while they are undergoing the treatment if the effects are not noticeable yet.
#1 Try to Train Your Partner to Sleep on Their Side
Most chronic snorers usually are back sleepers. A 2009 study with a sample of 2,077 participants determined that 53.8% of snorers are sleeping on their back, while the remaining 46.2% could snore in any position they slept in.
Although the difference between these two groups doesn’t seem impressive, you can still ask your partner to switch to side sleeping and see whether it works. The following tricks may help make this transition smoother:
Remember that the first rule of any successful change is cooperation. If your partner denies that he or she is a snorer, you can kindly ask if you can record them overnight. Typically, people just don’t realize how loud they are and how this may affect the sleep of their loved ones.
So if you make your significant other aware of their issues, you will be able to work on solving them together.
#2 Work With Physical Aspects
If snoring is caused by allergy or common cold and rhinitis, you need to address these issues. Here are some tips that will help keep the nasal passages open throughout the night:
#3 Wear Earplugs
If you have to deal with a very loud snorer, sometimes it’s better to just get yourself a pair of earplugs to protect yourself from snoring. Here’s what you need to consider before choosing a reliable pair:
#4 Use White Noise
If you don’t feel like wearing earplugs, you can try masking the snoring sounds with other noises.
No, this is not a joke.
Actually, a white noise generator may help you sleep better even if your partner is really loud.
White noise consists of sound waves that have different frequencies, so it can overlap and absorb other sounds. You can buy a white noise machine or just download an app with white noise samples to your phone and listen to such a playlist.
#5 Go to Bed Before Your Partner
Getting into bed before your snoring spouse can kill two birds with one stone:
Snoring can be really annoying, that’s for sure.
And it’s not always easy to influence another person. After all, it’s up to your partner whether to do anything about their issue or not.
Still, if none of the methods above seemed to work, don’t be scared to sleep apart.
Sleeping in separate rooms allows both of you to create a perfect sleeping surrounding environment. Choose a comfy blanket, sleep in your favorite sleeping position, and forget about loud snoring. Because a good rest is what everyone needs.
Besides, a relationship flourishes only when both sides are happy. And well-rested.